Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A Life Too Short

This morning Hanna got that call, known only to those who have lost a loved one to terminal illness. She had been preparing for that moment since June, but nothing can really make you ready for that instant. Her Uncle Ron passed away last night, after a protracted battle with cancer.

Eventhough I had only known him for only a short time, I still feel the loss. Ron was a man full of joy and spirit. He cared deeply about his family and friends. Always quick with a joke or funny story, he reminded me quite a bit of my own great uncles.

Most of the time I spent with Ron was visiting him in the hospital. Even there he was full of humor and caring. He'd ask about school and our dog and our new apartment. He'd always check the strength of my grip when we shook hands, even when he was at his weakest.

It is said that when we grieve for those whose lives have been lost we are grieving not for their loss, but for ours. With the passing of Uncle Ron, that could not be more true. May he rest in peace.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tears.....

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home