Sunday, October 31, 2004

Thank You

This is obviously a bit late and comes after pretty much everyone else has had their say. But I have been on such an emotional high since Wednesday that I have been unable to write about my joy. I think the new Nike commercial captures exactly how I feel. For thirty-three years I have patiently waited for a World Series Championship and each year, like every other citizen of Red Sox Nation, I had my heart torn to pieces in October.

But this year was different. The Idiots broke the curse instead of our hearts. Eighty six years of longing and heartache have come to an end. And what a glorious one it was, marching right through Yankee Stadium.

This year's Championship was not only for the 2004 Red Sox and the Red Sox Nation, but for all of those players who have come before. Guys like Yaz, Jim Rice, Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr, Luis Tiant, Fred Lynn, Carlton Fisk, Bob Stanley, and even Bill Buckner. Guys who played hard and brought an awful lot of joy to the Nation, but for their lack of a Championship never quite got the respect they deserved.

So, to the 2004 Red Sox and to all of those players who wore a Boston uniform between 1918 and 2004, thank you. We always have, and always will, love you. But right now, maybe we love you a little bit more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home