Saturday, September 11, 2004

Remembering September 11

Even though it was three years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday. I woke to the local NPR station only to hear that the first plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. At that time, it was uncertain whether this was just an accident. I got up and switched on the television only to see the second plane hit.

I was filled with a sense of horror, sadness and anger. After the initial shock, my worries turned to my friends in Manhattan. But soon after, another plane hit the Pentagon and with that news, my thoughts went to my cousin stationed there.

I spent that day watching the television and trying to find out if my friends and family were all alive. It was about forty eight hours later that all my loved ones were accounted for. And while that provided some personal relief, it did little to curb the heartache I felt for those who lost and gave their lives on that day, and for their families and friends.

So, today, like every September 11 I will reflect on those events and the lessons learned from the attack and its aftermath. I will remember the sacrifices made by so many brave and selfless men and women. I will remember the losses suffered by the tens of thousands of friends and relatives who lost someone special. And, I will remember how we came together as one nation, black and white, rich and poor, red state and blue state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home