Friday, May 02, 2003

Unbelievable!
Sometimes I simply do not understand some of the people I share this world with. It seems that in a small, rural town in Georgia, there are still whites only proms. Some enterprising students held the first integrated prom at the school last year, though a good number of whites have decided to hold a whites only event again this year. I should note that there is also an integrated prom that most students will attend.
But what does it say about society that there are still people who think a single race prom is necessary. That there are still people who are afraid of inter-racial dating. Although this seems eminently more dumb, I also question the wisdom of single race dorms at college and universities. The extent to which people desire separation from one another causes me to wonder if we are really moving forward towards a race blind society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home