Friday, April 25, 2003

Sobering Point
I have spent the better part of the past few days beating up the GOP for its intolerance towards gays. But, as is often the case, reality does not match hyperbole. I have to remind myself that the Democratic Party does not have such a stellar record on gay issues either, as noted here, here, and here. Keep in mind that it was a Democratic President who gave us "don't ask, don't tell"; signed the Defense of Marriage Act into law; and, was unable to enact ENDA. But some might say that was Clintonian triangulation, to which I say over two-thirds of Democratic Senators and more than half of Democratic Congressmen voted in favor of DOMA.
All of which makes me wonder if the Democratic Party has not become as comfortable taking the gay vote for granted as they are with assuming the black vote. Now, I am not claiming that there is no difference between the Democrats and the Republicans, as I do believe that anti-gay views are much more common place in the GOP than in the Democratic Party. But what help is it that the Democratic Party continues to pay lip service to the gay community while supporting anti-gay policies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home