Thursday, April 24, 2003

Poor Andrew
It seems that the unwillingness of the White House or the Senate Majority Leader to object to Sen. Santorum's gay bashing comments has left Andrew Sullivan a bit bereft--
"...many establishment Republicans believe that the criminalization of private gay sex is a legitimate position, even when they personally disagree with it. That's how close they are to the fundamentalist right. That's how little they care about individual liberties. I guess, as so many gloating liberals have emailed me to point out, I have been incredibly naive. I expected a basic level of respect for gay people from civilized conservatives. I've always taken the view that there are legitimate arguments about such issues as marriage rights or military service and so on; and that fair-minded people can disagree. And, of course, there are many fair-minded people among Republicans and conservatives who do not agree with Santorum, and I am heartened by their support, especially the Republican Unity Coalition and Marc Racicot, RNC head. But something this basic as the freedom to be left alone in own's own home is something I naively assumed conservatives would obviously endorse - even for dispensable minorities like homosexuals. I was wrong. The conclusions to be drawn are obvious."

I think Andrew is absolutely right and as a former Republican conservative, all I can say to Andrew is, "what took you so long?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home