Friday, October 21, 2005

So Wikked Smaht

According to this report, my homestate of MA is the third smartest in the country. Of course, this is good news, but it means we dropped out of the number one spot after two years.

Perusing the list, I have lived in number 3, 10, 21, 25 and 40 (where I reside now). I can say that there is a big difference culturally among the states where I have lived. Education was clearly valued more in MA (#3) and NY (#10) than in the other three places. Interestingly enough, the first two are blue states the middle two swing both ways, and the last is very red.

There seems to be a pattern between how people vote and how they value education, knowledge and expertise. Which leads me to sing the praises of this piece by Charles Johnson in this month's Esquire. Pierce's main contention is that we have replaced intelligence and expertise with the Gut. But, more than that, Idiot America wholly rejects expertise and instead gives credence to those who can sell the most books or stoke the most irrational fears (see, for example, Faux News). Go read the whole piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home