Saturday, March 19, 2005

Saying Goodbye

When I started musclehead a couple of years ago it was as a means to write down my thoughts about politics, culture and current events. That need had been met in prior years by graduate school classes. I had somewhat thought law school would provide that same sort of forum for intellectual dialogue, but I was sadly mistaken.

I do not write about law school often, unlike other blawgers. I prefer not to think about law school, or the law, any more often than I am required to by my mere attendance in class. So I am left with politics, etc. as my subjects.

Politics and public policy are very important to me, as evidenced by my careers in elected office and government service. However, they are also topics that bring me great discomfort and bitterness. In order to write a blog that covers politics one has to spend an inordinate amount of time reading other political blogs and news sites. And all that reading leads one to confront the ridiculous times we live in.

We are faced with a Catholic Church that refuses funeral rites for a man in San Diego who owned a gay bar and dance club, yet provides full funeral rites for a priest who molested countless young boys. We have a Congress who feels it is within their power to deny someone in a vegatative state her wish to die with dignity. We are constantly bombarded with tales of religious conservatives who have secret lives replete with sexual deviance. Our president and his administration lied to the American people and the world about the existence of WMD in Iraq. And the list goes on and on.

It all leads to frustration, sadness and a dreary view of human nature itself. When this sets in, one begins to realize that a break is in order. This will not be my first break from blogging, or from politics, and it will probably not be my last. But for the near future I would prefer to focus on the wonderful things in my life- my girlfriend, my friends and family, and my bodybuilding. I am also going to devote more time to reading books and sitting out on my deck and watching the birds I have attracted with my squirrel proof birdfeeder (cardinals, woodpecker, blue jay, et al).

Of course, if something really moves me to write, I will do it here. But regular posting will not continue (not that my posting has been regular for the past month or so) in the near future. I may resuscitate the site this summer or next summer when I am done with my three years of hell. I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to read musclehead over the past couple of years. I have appreciated your comments and your bits of wisdom.

Take care of yourself and those you love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home