Monday, March 24, 2003

Living in the Real World
Those who are regular readers know my thoughts on affirmative action in higher education- qualified support at the undergraduate level and opposition at the graduate level. And now I am grappling with the issue at a personal level. Having just been rejected by the University of Michigan Law School, I sit and wonder whether there aren't some lesser qualified minority applicants who were accepted because of their race. (note: I am equally appalled at the prospect of lesser qualified legacy kids getting in, too.)
My own comfort level is with a situation in which two equally qualified applicants are considered and one is chosen over the other because of race or some diversity factor. But when a lesser qualified person is offered admission, it strikes me as particularly wrong and bad policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home