Saturday, February 15, 2003

It's the SECURITY, stupid.

Today is the big day for the anti-war crowd with protests planned all over the world. I'll restrain myself from another screed about the idiocy of the anti-war lefties, at least in part. What I think they fail to realize, and I think this failure effects the pro-war crowd just as much, is that public support is predicated on one idea- SECURITY. This was really brought home ot me this morning. As I drove home, there was a woman caller to the talk radio show that happened to be on. She had lost a son on 9-11 and what she said really makes a lot of sense, "I don't like war, but I want security". And I think this is the crux of America's post 9-11 foreign policy and the President understands what many of his detractors do not.

Of course, there is no way that we can be absolutely safe; there is no perfect world. But our President has an obligation to take whatever steps necessary to minimize risk to American lifes. Now, there are those who would say that Iraq does not pose an "imminent threat", but are they really so sure? Should we assume that because Saddam has not, up until now, given chemical or biological weapons to Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas or Islamic Jihad that he would not be so willing to in the future? Keep in mind that this is a man who tried to have the former President Bush assassinated.

Will you sleep well knowing Saddam is in power and controls weapons of mass destruction?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home